Outlook 2016 shows an error when opening Word, Excel or Powerpoint attachments. For instance:
“Word experienced an error trying to open the file”
“Microsoft Outlook (Protected View) has stopped working”
“The file is corrupt and cannot be opened”
Follow these steps to get rid of this error:
- Open Microsoft Word (or Excel / Powerpoint)
- Go to File -> Options -> Trust Center.
- Now click on Trust Center Settings.
- Click Protected View in the left pane.
- Now uncheck the box: Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments.
- Click OK to save changes in Trust Center window.
- Click OK in Word Options.
Now close Microsoft Word and retry to open the attachment from Outlook. It should work fine now and ask you what you want to do, Open or Save the attachment.